Although, there are things that I think I won't ever get used to such as the stunning countryside of volcanoes and mountains where ever I go, or the beauty of the people here and their love of culture. Overall, I feel so blessed to settle into such a wonderful country, city, family and culture. I am constantly amazed by the kindness of my host mom, and the patience of my host sister (Tania) as she teaches me the ins and outs of life in Arequipa. The fact that God chooses to take me here to have an adventure with him and grow closer to him is an amazing gift, and each day/week I am here my eyes are opened to his goodness and constant companionship.
I have already posted pictures of my room the views, the outside of my house etc. but here are a few more of my daily life:
My Peruvian family!!! (right to left: Mamá, me, Valeria, Tania)
Living room
Bathroom
what I have for breakfast almost every day: Fresh juice (this time was Pineapple, toast with marmalade)
*note- the toast is cold because the loaf of bread is already toasted.
This breakfast took some getting used to, but now I quite enjoy it :) The juice and marmalade are the best parts.
Kitchen
*bonus funny story:
Another new thing that started this week was my class that I am directly enrolled in at La Universidad. This means that it is a class taught by a Peruvian professor and with all Peruvian students from La Universidad. The class started and I could understand less than I would like to admit due to the speed of the professor's speech as well as the foreign vocabulary of Art (as my class is Artes Plasticas). I jotted down some notes that I thought were accurate. I knew that I wasn't understanding everything, but it wasn't until two instances that I realized how little that really was.
The first instance was that at the end of the class our professor asked us to answer some questions on a sheet of paper and then draw (as I believe this will be a drawing and painting class). I got all the questions correct and answered them accurately, but then it came to drawing at the end. I understood the that the professor was asking us to draw anything we might want. So I commenced to drawing a flower (the only thing I have the slightest talent at drawing), but then I looked over at my neighbor and she was drawing a stool. This gave me pause because why when given the choice of anything, would anyone draw a stool? Then the professor came my way to make sure that I understood. I said yes and then he continued to explain the last question that we were supposed to draw the stool in the front of the room. Not what ever we wanted. My face turned a slight shade of red and I scratched out my mediocre flower and set to work on what turned out to be a very difficult stool.
The second instance was after class, I asked a girl in the class a question about something the professor had said and she explained that we have a 3 page paper due next class time and materials due as well. I started to laugh shocked at how little I had understood.
Needless to say this class will be a challenge and a learning experience of my art skills and language skills. Thankfully, I am comforted by three things:
1. the professor is very nice, willing to help and seems to understand that I haven't quite mastered the language yet
2. I now have friend that can hopefully help me with the directions in slower and more plain speech.
3. the class is pass/fail :)
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment